Sunday, August 7, 2011

Paper Towel Roll Kind of Day

This has been the hottest summer in Raleigh I can remember.  I think it has been near the 100 degree mark for at least three weeks.  Therefore the ton of rain that started last night was very needed....but made for a boring day indoors.  I look forward to the weekends since I work during the week and try to spend as much time as possible with the girls.  I love taking Emily on "trips" to the grocery store, library, mall (Disney store is the utmost treat), or just to the local park.  I do really well with enriching the children's life with great books, travel, outside play, and just silly fun but I don't do alot of art.  This may seem like a no-brainer since I like crafts so much but until recently, she wasn't really at the age to participate in much other than putting crayon to paper.  Even though I want to use this blog to inspire others, I am also hoping that it will make me more diligent with sharing my crafting love with my daughter.  Should be a win-win, right!

Since we were stuck indoors, I decided to make use of all of those empty paper towel and toilet paper rolls I have lying around.  A couple of months ago I decided that it was just silly to throw those away as there had to be like a hundred different things I could do with those with Emily.  They could be a totem pole, a snowman, a kaleidoscope, binoculars, a snake, cut up for a necklace or practice with lacing, the list goes on and on.   We decided to try a kaleidoscope and even though I did the putting together, she had fun decorating the construction paper that went on the outside.  I should have added a lot more beads to the end but it turned out pretty good and Emily like it.


I used a piece of cardboard (you could use stiff cardstock) and wrapped it in aluminum foil.  Fold it to make a triangle and insert that into the paper towel roll.  Trace the end of the paper towel roll on another piece of cardboard and cut that out as well as a small hole in the middle to peer through.  You could use a hole punch if using cardstock.
 I wrapped cling wrap around the bottom and taped it and then put beads and sequins and taped another layer of cling wrap on top of that.  
 The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...