Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Emily's First Sleepover

My little girl is growing up (cue tears).  We are very blessed to have great friends who have great kids so we decided to invite Emily's friend Caroline over for a sleepover a couple of weekends ago.  Carolina is 5 and is one of the best behaved children I know.  I always tell her mom Shannon that she has an old soul. 


I think I was more excited than the girls.  I LOVED sleepovers when I was a kid.  I lived out in the country of Roxboro, N.C. which is almost an oxymoron since Roxboro was an extremely rural city when I was growing up.  Lot of farmers and lots and lots of tobacco plants.  We lived on 10 acres or land so I didn't get to see my little friends very often.  Sleepovers meant a full day and night of girl play.  So fun!  I don't remember anything from before I was 10 and even after that most things are fuzzy until high school (darn those ECU parties in college.  Too many brain cells killed obviously).  So I know realistically that Emily will not remember her first sleepover but maybe Carolina will or maybe Emily inherited her aunt's photograhic memory.  Either way, I was going to do my best to make it special.  After some time outside, we made cookies.


The girls played dress-up, watched Disney's Tangled and then "tried" to go to sleep.  We quickly learned that Emily is a very active sleeper so the trundle bed was used.


Whenever I had friends sleepover, my mom would make monkey bread.  That was a special treat that we only got on holidays and I loved it!  Maybe that's one of the few things from my childhood that I actually remember.  I put my own spin on this recipe and omitted raisins and nuts.  I love traditions!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...