Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

September 11, 2001

That day means so much to so many people.  I feel like its the one day in my lifetime so far that is a defining moment.  One of those where everyone knows where they were when they heard the news.  Sort of like "Where were you when JFK was assassinated?" or "Where were you when the first man walked on the moon?"  It's amazing that our children have no recollection of that day.  I feel like that day and its aftermath are so apart of my thought process that I can't comprehend not knowing about that day and those who gave their lives.  Those born in the last ten years don't know the stab to our hearts as we watched the towers fall or how how our bubble popped and America realized that we were not untouchable.  Emily and Lindsay are too young to teach or explain about 9/11.  When they get older I will show them pictures and hopefully take them to Ground Zero.  I don't know if there is a way I can ever show them the loss to the nation's psyche though.

The girls and I spent the day enjoying the outdoors.  Emily rode her tricycle and blew bubbles at Lindsay.

   
We played with sidewalk chalk.  All hail Princess Emily and Princess Lindsay!


It was a perfect day and it's so hard to imagine that such a horrific action happened on a day just like this.  My heart goes out to the families that lost loved ones that day.  The mothers who would never see their daughters again, the babies who would never know their fathers.  I gave Emily and Lindsay extra kisses and hugs, sent Matt off to have some guy time, and I even took a nap at naptime.  I tried not to rush through the day or stress about getting housework done.  I wanted to enjoy the day, enjoy my loved ones and enjoy my freedom.  I am so thankful and so proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...