Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Labor Day!

Does anyone really need a reason to make a dessert?  Well, I guess since I have been trying to lose a stubborn 10 lbs since Lindsay was born, I do!  What is Labor Day without good food on the grill, American beer and a red, blue and white dessert?  For some reason I believe (with no evidence) that rice krispie treats are better for you than cookies.  I realized this was passed down through generations of my family when I overheard my mother telling my daughter to chose the rice krispie treat instead of the cookie!


Even though I have tried to stimulate Emily's palate with combinations of apricot and lamb even before she had teeth, she resists any new food and is a very picky eater.  I made her a dinner of rocket hot dogs. I had planned to make the triangle top out of cheese but realized too late that I didn't have any in the fridge.  So one must improvise!  Ketchup is always a compliment to any food in the Wrenn household!


The adults had hot dogs with slaw and chili and grilled corn-on-the-cob.  I made a fantastic sauce for the corn thanks to my friend Kelley.  I pulled the husks back from the corn and slathered on a mixture of mayo, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese.  Then I pulled the husks back over the corn and put them on the grill.  Yum!


Can't have a holiday without sparklers!

So sad to say goodbye unofficially to summer :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...