2011 was a pretty tough year. I know I should count my blessings and be thankful I have a healthy family, a roof over my head and there were wonderful memories like my sister's wedding. That being said, Lindsay was a much harder newborn that I had anticipated and also juggling two children was harder than I estimated. In 2011 Lindsay had surgery for double inguinal hernias, my mother-in-law was diagnosed and beat a very aggressive form of breast cancer, and my father-in-law was diagnosed and lost his battle with leukemia. His passing towards the end of the year just gave the holidays a hollow feeling. I am looking forward to a fresh year and redefining of my priorities.
The reason that I started this blog and business was I wanted to do something fun. I love crafting, decorating, painting, really anything artsy, and partying! Seemed like a perfect fit. In a perfect world it would be. Trying to juggle starting a business, my day job, my marriage, my two children, and attending classes at night to further my education was just too much. I was focusing less on my family and spending less time with my children. As soon as the idea of planning a party came up, the first thing I would think of was that there was another weekend I would be away from the girls. The idea of Pinwheels, Pigtails & Parties is no longer fun and no longer that "perfect" fit. I do enjoy the blog when I have time for it as it is almost like a diary of sorts and very therapeutic. If someone else can find inspiration from something I said or created, then great! If not, then that's okay too. I'm going to redesign the blog to now be just chronicle of my life as a planner, dreamer, crafter, wife, friend, and mother. If I'm honest with myself and look back over the last six months, that's really what I was doing anyways! The name still fits as I work through the week dealing with toys (Pinwheels) and my girls (Pigtails), all the while trying to make life a (Party)! Ha!
Well, that started #1of my New Year goals! I didn't want to set "resolutions" but instead goals for 2012. At the end of the year I can do a recap if I actually achieved something. (Also putting things out there on the wide world web sort of makes you accountable!) Here they are:
1. Spend more quality time with my family by focusing on being at home more.
2. Lose at least 15 pounds by working out at least 3 days a week. This means getting up at 5:30am. Oh, how I will miss sleep!
3. Stop relying on credit cards. Budget more and make sure Matt and I are on the same page when it comes to finances. We have set a budget but I am curious to see how January goes to see how realistic it is. No more crazy expensive trips to the grocery store three times a week when you were only supposed to get a gallon of milk, or $100 trips to Michaels (wipe a tear). With two kids in daycare, our discretionary income is almost nonexistent which means finding creative, inexpensive ways to eat, stay reasonable fashionable, have fun, and entertain.
4. Learn how to sew and knit. More possibilities for crafts!
5. Make our home more inviting. I have SO many plans and ideas in the works. Thank you Pinterest!
6. DECLUTTER! This goes hand-in-hand with my goal above. I have realized that I am one exciting yard sale away from being featured on an episode of Hoarders. I keep everything which can be a great thing when I am looking for a container or something to upcycle. A very bad thing when you can barely fit a person in our garage, much less a car! I am so ready to purge! Getting rid of stuff is almost as euphoric as buying stuff :). At least that's what I am telling myself.